Novel electrochemical micro-biosensors based on bio-catalytical nanostructures used for clinical diagnostic of patients with neuro-psychiatric diseas
Research summary report 2011-2016: Final report: research-summary-report_final-2016_project
Sursa de finantare: Unitatea Executiva pentru Finantarea Invatamantului Superior, a Cercetarii, Dezvoltarii si Inovarii (UEFISCDI)
Codul proiectului: PN-II-ID-PCE-2011-3-0784
Nr de contract: 251/2011
Titlul proiectului: Novel electrochemical micro-biosensors based on bio-catalytical nanostructures used for clinical diagnostic of patients with neuro-psychiatric diseas
Descrierea proiectului (rezumatul):
The overall objective of the Project is to develop and demonstrate the functionality of new bio-analytical nano-systems based on novel electrochemical micro-biosensors for assessment of neurotransmitters in real clinical samples.
The long-term goal of the proposed work is to establish a novel bioanalytical method based on micro-biosensors, whose surface is made from carbonaceous nano-structured materials (e.g. CNTs) modified with enzymes, electro-catalysts and/or electro-generated polymers, for assessment of neurotransmitters in real biological samples at the concentration level relevant from clinical point of view (10-7-10-9 M) and to demonstrate their applicability in clinical diagnosis of patients presenting different neuro-psychiatric diseases. A second aspect will be the validation of developed analytical methodology.
Another innovative aspect will be the examination of the neurotransmitters role in the neuro-psychiatric diseases (major and bi-polar depression, Parkinson disease; this could be correlated with the possible clinical diagnostics of the patients presenting different neuro-psychiatric disorders based on the data obtained by using the elaborated micro-biosensor and also with an adequate medical treatment.
There will be also explored the possibilities to manufacture biochips or sensor networks based on micro-biosensors for neurotransmitters detection useful in the diagnostic of the depressive and Parkinson conditions affecting part of the human population. The combination of this approach with powerful developments in high-throughput screening, chip technology, and combinatorial chemistry should lead to products that are useful in the diagnosis, prevention, and – with newly identified therapeutic principles – treatment of some neuro-psychiatric diseases.
Echipa de cercetare: Director proiect – prof.dr. Anton Alexandru Ciucu; Membrii: Conf.dr. Iulia Gabriela David, Medic dr. Adela Ciobanu, Asist. Cercet. Medeea Radulescu, Asist.cercet.drd. Andreea Rabinca, Asist.cercet.dr. Stefan Iordache, Tehn. Irina Trandafir.
Rezultate preconizate si rapoartele de activitate care prezint? stadiul ?i rezultatele ob?inute(informa?ie generic? care nu interfereaz? cu dreptul de proprietate intelectual? ?i bugetul asociat îndeplinirii activit??ilor din proiect).
Major objectives of the research in the proposed research Project are:
(1) Design, develop and evaluate new electrochemical micro-biosensors based on carbonaceous materials (e.g. carbon nanotubes-CNTs, fullerene and graphene) whose surface is modified with metallo-phthalocyanines (MPCs), enzymes ((e.g. glucose-oxidase (Gox), cellobiose dehydrogenase (CDH), tyrosinase (Tyr), proxidase (POD) and acetyl-cholinesterase (AChE)) or with electro-generated polymers for assessment of neurotransmitters -experimental laboratory model-;
(2) Initiate, plan and conduct clinical studies for selected patients presenting some neuro-psychiatric diseases (e.g. depression, Parkinson disease, etc) in order to establish a clinical diagnostic;
(3) Identify and discuss biomarker targets (like neurotransmitters) that could be useful in either diagnostics or therapeutic settings of brain disorders;
(4) Elaboration of complex surface analysis and characterization methods ((scanning electrochemical microscopy (SECM), FTIR, SERS, impedance spectroscopy and surface plasmon resonance (SPR)) for the modified nano-structured materials surfaces;
(5) Optimization of the construction technology for the experimental laboratory model of the micro-biosensor (enzymatic, electro-catalytic or with electro-generated polymers) based on carbonaceous nano-structured materials (e.g.CNTs) for assessment of neurotransmitters; study of its voltammetric response characteristics and of analytical performances towards neurotransmitters;
(6) Development of a highly sensitive and selective method for detection neurotransmitters;
(7) Micro-biosensor data validation by standard analytical methods (e.g. chromatographic);
(8) Construction and commercialization of a micro-bisosensor prototype for neurotransmitters determination;
(9) Design and construction of a high throughput assay device, biochip and/or sensor network array, which can simultaneously probe for several biomakers (neurotransmitters) for neuro-psychiatric disorders;
(10) Clinical diagnosis and therapeutic treatments of the neuro-psychiatric diseases based on micro-biosensor results.